Conflict Free Diamonds
The Jewelz fully supports all measures which seek to eliminate the trade of conflict diamonds. Each diamond is checked to make sure they are imported from a conflict-free zone. At The Jewelz, we only purchase diamonds and gemstones from the best and most reputable suppliers, who, like us, have the highest and most ethical standards.
What Are Conflict Free Diamonds?
Conflict diamonds, more popularly known as blood diamonds, are diamonds mined in war-torn countries which finance rebel movements and terrorist activity against UN-recognized governments. Two-thirds of the world’s diamonds are mined in African countries where these problems exist, making it difficult to differentiate between a blood diamond and conflict-free diamond.
The global diamond industry, including retailers such as The Jewelz, has taken drastic steps to put an end to the trade of conflict diamonds. These steps include adhering to the strict import policies and the support of policies, which ensure that diamonds are imported from conflict-free nations.
Non-Conflict Diamond Facts
You can be sure that the diamonds you purchase from The Jewelz, are conflict-free diamonds. Here are some facts regarding the measures taken to ensure that blood diamonds do not reach U.S. shores:
- On January 18, 2001, an executive order was issued by President Bill Clinton, which effectively blocked the jewelers from importing rough diamonds into the United States from Sierra Leon.
- On May 22, 2001, President George W. Bush issued an executive order which banned the import of rough diamonds from Liberia into the United States.
- The U.S. implemented the Clean Diamond Trade Act (CDTA) on July 29, 2003 by executive order, which installed the legislation of the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme.
- The U.S. also holds a special office for a Special Advisor to Conflict Diamonds.
- Blood diamonds only account for .2 percent of today’s global supply
As you can see, by law, all jewelers, including The Jewelz, must abide by safe import polices. These laws have dramatically reduced the amount of blood diamonds being exported around the world.
THE JEWELZ has a zero tolerance policy towards blood diamonds. We will not import our diamonds from nations which use diamonds for financing wars or internal strife. This is the JEWELZ ON NET promise.